Subject: Re: Two dead AXPpxi33 boards?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/19/2001 23:26:19
On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 11:23:55AM -0400, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> kpneal@pobox.com writes:
>
> > I'm using two 8 meg SIMMs that have been working fine in my AlphaStation
> > 200 for years.
> >
> > Am I correct in thinking that the AXPpci33 uses the same memory as
> > the AlphaStation 200?
>
> Unfortunately, no. The AXPpci33 is pickier about memory; it wants
> 36-bit SIMMs. The AlphaStation 200 is happy with 33-bit SIMMs. So
> there's compatibility in only one direction, and it's the direction
> that doesn't help you.

This is the part where everyone pictures a guy who looks like Frank
Zappa with less bushy facial hair, younger, with no drugs, and lots of
cursing. Lots of cursing. Oh, and throw in a black trench coat also.

This is terrible. Also, this is really excellent news!

The memory I was trying to use has this written on it:
54-21246-FA
2MX33, 70NS

*smacks forehead*

The 32 megs I pulled from my working AXPpci33 and installed on the
seemingly-broken board brought the board to life. Yup, it boots to
an SRM prompt. Awesome! I still need to test the other board, but
hey!

The down side is that my AlphaStation 200 has 2 16 meg SIMMs and 4 8
meg SIMMs. I was hoping to upgrade to 128 megs with two 64 meg sticks,
and then use the old memory to get AXPpci33 boards running. Those
hopes are dashed.

I've been thinking for a while about an Alpha Hardware FAQ similar
to the Sun Hardware FAQ. Anyone else think this is a good idea?
Anyone else think enough of the idea to chip in specs and a few
paragraphs for each machine?

Anyway, thanks to all for helping me lick this.
      'Concerns about "rights" and "ownership" of domains are inappropriate.
 It is appropriate to be concerned about "responsibilities" and "service"
 to the community.' -- RFC 1591, page 4: March 1994