Subject: Re: Two dead AXPpxi33 boards?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/18/2001 12:07:07
On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 02:24:07PM -0400, David Woyciesjes wrote:

> 	Okay, I'll put it this way. You are right, but I have run into many
> different speakers, including PC speakers, that produce sound at a noticably
> lower level when they are wired backwards. It is entirely possible that you
> have not seen this happen. Such is the magic known as electronics... :-)

the original PC speaker driver circuitry was DC square waves only, so
it's quite possible that the speaker only flexes one direction relative
to its resting position.  so if you wire it "backwards" it wouldn't flex
much at all, hence attenuated output.

     "No single layer of abstraction can save the world or even make
      good coffee."  --  Kevin P. Neal