Subject: fsck failure
From: Anders Hogrelius <ahs@hogrelius.nu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/17/2001 19:57:19
I've just had a bit of a, hmm interresting crash on my server.
It's running a NetBSD 1.5.1 tailored to my EB164 system, so it's
not a generic kernel.

What's happened is this. This afternoon we had a very short power outage
<1s, but it was enough to make all computers reboot. The NetBSD box
took some time to reboot, running fsck as it wasn't shutdown correctly.
Fsck gave some messages, don't remember exactly what, but nothing that
looked really serious, and the computer seemed to start as usual.
Not so. I soon found out that apache didn't start. It turned out that
the whole ap-php4 install was gone, together with some other files.
What's strange is that none of the files should have been opened so that
they could have been truncated. Neither did fsck drop anything in the
lost+found dir.

It seems that fsck failed when running at boot, without giving any
messages. Has anyone else seen this behaviour? The box is a PC164,
with a Symbios 53c810 SCSI controller and a 18Gig Fujitsu disk.

--
cheers,

/Anders

A Vulcan can no sooner be disloyal than he can exist without
breathing.
		-- Kirk, "The Menagerie", stardate 3012.4

* Anders Hogrelius       Phone : +46 (0)70 6770210
* Tessingatan 12         E-mail: anders@hogrelius.nu
* SE-72216 Vasteras      Web:    http://www.hogrelius.nu/~ahs/
* SWEDEN