Subject: Re: AlphaServer 1000 boots in single user mode
To: Michael Downes <mdwn-dsl@zip.com.au>
From: None <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/16/2001 11:25:47
Quoting Michael Downes <mdwn-dsl@zip.com.au>:

> I'm pretty new to Alpha's and BSD, however I have just managed to
> install NetBSD 1.5.2 only my AS1000 (had to update the SRM first
> though).  Anyway, NetBSD will only boot in single user mode because it
> complains that rc.conf isn't configured.  My question is, how can I
> configure it when in single user mode??
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Generally, the following will do the trick:

Mount the root filesystem read-write:  mount -u /
Mount any other local filesystems:     mount -a
Set the terminal type:                 export TERM=vt100; tset
Edit /etc/rc.conf:                     vi /etc/rc.conf

Add 'rc_configured=YES' to this file, save it, and reboot.

Hope this helps,
Jared