Subject: re: serial console on PC164
To: B. James Phillippe <bryanxms@ecst.csuchico.edu>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/12/2001 14:07:01

   I am having a heck of a time getting serial console to work on my PC164.  I
   have an AlphaStation 200 which I've had no trouble with, so I'm confused
   why I'm having so much trouble with the PC164.  I have a serial cable
   connected between my laptop and the port labeled "COM1" on my PC164 board
   (I have also tried "COM2").  I have executed ">> set console serial" at the
   SRM prompt, and now output only displays on the video if I type something
   on the keyboard.  So far so good.  I have configured my terminal
   application on my Laptop (Linux box) to 9600,8,n,1.  Nothing ever appears
   on the terminal.  I have tried hardware and software flow control.  Are
   there any special settings I need for the PC164 to do serial console?  I'm
   not even into the NetBSD kernel yet, I'm just trying to get the SRM prompt
   through the serial port.  I've tried two different cables and two different
   laptops.  My only logical conclusion would be that: I have a bad serial
   port on the PC164; I am using the wrong settings for the serial port on the
   client side; I have misconfigured serial console in SRM.

the PC164 should give you a working SRM console on either port, given
the right conditions.  do you have a keyboard plugged in?  try taking
it out...  i personally have used a PC164 with serial console for the
better part of 3 years now.

.mrg.