Subject: Re: RAM for PWS500au and Powerstorm 4D50T
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/05/2001 12:46:42
On 71081801; seconds since the Beginning of the UNIX epoch
jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote:

>There is that nice PWS500au in my machine room (now with working
>Ethernet...). 192MB RAM is quite nice, but I want more when I look at
>the prices for 256MB DIMMs. ;-)
>This leads to the question: Can I put normal PeeCee ECC SDRAM DIMMs
>(PC66 / PC100 / PC133) in that machine?
>I tried one of the 32MB DIMMs from my PWS500au in a PeeCee (intel TX
>chipset) and it did not work. So I am afraid that the PWS DIMMs are not
>standard PC{66,100,133} DIMMs.

I just put a Gig  of PC100 RAM into my PWS433a, but you have to make sure
that it is (IIRC) 3.3V ECC SDRAM.  There is probably another modifier on
there such as unbuffered.

>The same for the Powerstorm 4D50T in that machine. There are two empty
>DIMM sockets for texture RAM. Do I need any special DIMMs, or can I
>move the two 32MB DIMMs from the mainboard to the 4D50T when I put in
>the two 256MB DIMMs?

Hmm, not sure on this one.

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==