Subject: Re: Help identify this Alpha (for NetBSD install)
To: None <bryanxms@ecst.csuchico.edu>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/05/2001 13:06:27
> > There is no such thing as a 64-bit SCSI board that's supported by t=
he old
> > SRM, so far as I can tell.  You will have to use a cheap one to boo=
t.  :(

> Really?  By "old SRM", do you mean all SRM versions for PC164, or do =
you
> mean I could upgrade to a newer version which might support a 64bit c=
ard?
> I'm fearing you mean the former...

Digital (err... Compaq err... HPaq?) long ago stopped adding new
device driver support to SRM for the PC164.  This basically means you
will have the best chances for booting with a card from that era, and
most preferably a DEC-labeled card -- that goes for both SCSI and
Ethernet.

In my case (I own a PC164), I ended up buying an IDE drive, since the
SRM software on the PC164 can boot from it, and I seem to recall that
the initial boot was done using floppy, because not just "any old
21x4x card" will work for netbooting.  Mine could not netboot with a
Kingston 21140-based card, identified by NetBSD as "de0: 21140
[10-100Mb/s] pass 1.2", but I think my colleague who managed to put
his hands on a DEC DE500-XA did manage to net-boot his system (it's a
while ago, so my memory is a little hazy on the matter).

Regards,

- H=E5vard