Subject: Re: 1.5.2 sysinstall fails during disklabel on Alphastation 255 / A
To: None <jeff@alanne.com>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/02/2001 17:18:17
On  2 Oct, Jeff Duffy wrote:

>   I'm attempting to do an install from ISO of the 1.5.2 release on
> several machines ( a mix of Alphastation 255s and Alphastation 200s).
> During the disk labeling portion of the installation process, the
> disklabel command fails (and so does the install).
Simply a bug in in the install programm? Boot the machine, quit install
and do it by hand. (Put a disklabel on the disk, make and mount the
file systems, untar the dist-sets, make the disk bootable, make the
device nodes, reboot from disk and do the rest of the system
configuration.)

>   I see the platform notes for the Alphastation 200 state that the SCSI
> driver is buggy; could this be the issue?
AFAIK this regards only to the old NCR driver, not to the new siop
driver.

> Does that mean my machines are
> unsupported and that I cannot run NetBSD on them?
As I have a AlphaStation 200 4/166 with TGA2 that is running NetBSD 1.5
with X11 without any problems, I can say that at least the AS 200 is
well supported. :-)
--

tschüß,
         Jochen