Subject: Re: AlphaStation 200 and X11 questions.
To: Chrischen <cchen@nougat.org>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/29/2001 16:07:05
Just info gleaned from the lists; can't hurt to concatenate it every so
often...

I'm running a rock-solid accelerated XFree86 server on a Personal
Workstation 500a with a Matrox Millennium II.  You want to sup the latest
xsrc from netbsd.org (see ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/README.sup), then apply
the patches referenced here:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-alpha/2001/03/30/0000.html .  After a
'make Makefiles' check /usr/xsrc/xfree/xc/programs/Xserver/Makefile, and
make sure that 'EXTRA_LOAD_FLAGS = -Wl,-E' is indicated.  Then 'make World
&& make install' in /usr/xsrc/xfree/xc and you should be set.  The
configuration tool would be 'xf86config'.  The wscons keyboard device would
be "/dev/wskbd0", and the mouse config would look like this:

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "wsmouse"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/wsmouse0"

I had to do the patches, Makefile changes etc. by hand as of two weeks ago;
I don't know if these are necessary in the latest CVS...

It hasn't crashed yet in two weeks of heavy usage; kde and qt apps are slow
to be unusable on this particular Alpha (some sort of kdeinit race
condition or something), but gnome, mozilla, and related gtk apps are quick
and responsive.

David