Subject: RE: Recommend SCSI for PC164SX
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Haapanen, Tom <tomh@metrics.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/23/2001 13:19:43

Ken Wellsch wrote:
> The PC164SX does have onboard IDE and I now completely avoid
> it (I had enough problems with it and believe there are some
> significant bugs in the Cypress chip-set involced, but could
> be wrong...)

We are running three different 164SX systems in production use, all of them
with IDE drives, and none with any problems.  One of these is the primary
motorsport.com web server, which serves out some four million hits per
month, and we have not experienced any problems with the IDE (or with
NetBSD, for that matter).

This is using a couple of recent IBM DeskStar IDE drives.

(I still love SCSI, but IDE is so cheap ... and, with the this motherboard,
avoided the whole SCSI host adapter issue.)

Tom Haapanen
tomh@motorsport.com