Subject: Re: DEC 3000/400 CD drives
To: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
From: David Burren <davidb@burren.cx>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/16/2001 10:12:53
> Paul Mather wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, rb wrote:
>
> => I've also got a 3000/300 (32MB, 535MB with no removable media) which
> => seems to have a basic OSF/1 but goes looking for /usr on another box
> => which I don't have... :c).
> => Can someone advise the specs of a suitable floppy disk drive for this
> => machine? Or am I on a loser here...?
>
> You're probably on a loser, there.  The floppy drive has a daughter card
> underneath it that makes the floppy drive look like regular SCSI device.
> So, unless you can find a SCSI floppy, I'd guess you were out of luck.

If anyone's desperate for one of these, I have one (it came with
a 2.88 MB drive, but the same controller works with 1.44 MB drives)
which I got eons ago to use with my PC532 and ICM3216.  It's been
sitting in my parts bin for ages (in Melbourne, Australia).

Of course, it might be simpler to just connect up a SCSI CDROM for
bootstrapping...
__
David Burren
david@burren.cx