Subject: RE: Newbie seeks advice: AlphaStation 200
To: NetBSD/Alpha <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Haapanen, Tom <tomh@metrics.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/08/2001 20:45:03
NetBSD runs quite well on the 200 4/233 -- we have had four of those running
as production servers for about the past three years or so.  They run a mix
of 1.4, 1.4.1 and 1.5.

The built-in NCR SCSI has worked perfectly for me, but I will admit to never
having even tried to install X.  And I yanked out the silly PCMCIA-to-ISA
adapters.  :-)

If you have SRM on it (I think most do), you can do a netboot from the
firmware, install 1.5(.1) over the network/FTP, and be up and running in no
time -- it's quite lovely, and you don't have to go rummaging in the
basement for one of those floppy disk things you once had!

-----
Tom Haapanen
tomh@motorsport.com