Subject: Re: Newbie seeks advice: AlphaStation 200
To: B. James Phillippe <bryan@terran.org>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/06/2001 15:34:14
"B. James Phillippe" wrote:

>user, and have both a diskless multia and an AlphaStation 200 4/233.
>
>I have been reading the FAQ's and docs on the netbsd.org site regarding the
>Alpha port, but I suspect that some of the information may be out of date.
>Particularly, the docs state that the ZLXp-E2 is not supported and that the
>NCR SCSI driver is buggy.  Is this accurate?  If so, is there any hope of
>running X on this system, and does the text-mode console have any trouble?
>Also, if the SCSI driver is buggy, in what way?

The ZLXp-E2 is actually supported by 1.5, IIRC.  And, I've even
run it in an AlphaStation 200 4/233.  :-)

X works on the multia, too.

I didn't have any problems with the on-board NCR SCSI on the
AlphaStation 200 4/233 and I ran a couple of striped barracudas on
it for a couple of months.  I later upgraded to a 2940UW, though,
because the drives were wide and it was lying around the house.

Later I made the box headless, since I moved and left it at a
friend's house being my main server.  In fact, that is where I'm
sending this email from.

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==