Subject: Re: Q: Switching to serial console...
To: Terminator <jimmyzhou@bigfoot.com>
From: Anders Hogrelius <ahs@hogrelius.nu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/17/2001 23:11:27
On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Terminator wrote:
> I got a CD-ROM just now and am able to install NetBSD from CD. Ok,
> I boot from the NetBSD alpha CD, it seems fine, but finally it stops
> at the point with a line: SWITCHING TO SERIAL CONSOLE. What shall
> I do now? What's the meaning of serial console?
>
> My machine is a DEC3000/500.

You'll need to connect some kind of terminal to the serial port on the
back of the alpha. Either this would be some kind of terminal software
running on another computer, or a real VT terminal. Check the page
at http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/alpha/models.html#dec-3000-500 where you
can find some more info on your DEC box. Below is a section from that page
which would be of interrest to you.

<snip>
Since no frame buffer or keyboard is supported on DEC 3000/500-family
systems, you MUST use a serial console when running NetBSD/alpha on them.
See your owner's manual for information on how to configure your system to
use a serial console.
</snip>

The best way to use a box like the DEC3000/500 would be via networking
since the serial driver in NetBSD seems a bit flaky. It's useful for
booting though.

--
cheers,

/Anders

VAX is something we should do, VAX is something that's not Big Blue.
VAX is natural, VAX is good.
Not everyone's got Digital, but everybody should.
VAX is natural, VAX is fun.
VAX is best when it's ....  one on one, one on one.
* Anders Hogrelius       Phone : +46 (0)70 6770210
* Tessingatan 12         E-mail: anders@hogrelius.nu
* SE-72216 Vasteras      Web:    http://www.hogrelius.nu/~ahs/
* SWEDEN