Subject: Space disappearing under LFS?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/14/2001 23:03:51
Recently, I decided to give LFS a try on my DEC 3000/300 running
NetBSD-current (last built 2001-08-01).  I don't think I'll stick with
it, because the read performance (as measured unscientifically whilst
watching systat vmstat:) is much inferior to that of FFS, and write
performance on my system doesn't win against FFS with soft updates.

But, the thing I've found most intriguing is the way the disk usage (as
reported by df) fluctuates even when the file system is static.
However, that's not the oddest thing I've noted.  For some reason, the
number of 1K blocks reported by the filesystem, and the "Avail" amount
has decreased.  This morning, "df" told me:

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
[...]
/dev/sd1c      968877     6098    865892     0%    /scratch

and just now, it reports:

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
[...]
/dev/sd1c      737204     6142    657342     0%    /scratch

even though the filesystem contents have not changed in the intervening
hours!

Where have the ~200 MB gone?  Is lfs_cleanerd cleaning away my disk
space permanently? ;-)

Like I said, I think I'll be reverting back to FFS for other reasons,
but I thought that space reporting was odd...

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa