Subject: Re: alpha console problem
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Idar Tollefsen <Idar.Tollefsen@baerum.kommune.no>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/03/2001 08:33:36
> I booted it up, everything seemed to go OK
> until I got a message along the lines of=20
> "WARNING: /dev/console no such device."

I can't recall the exact message, but for I had
a similar experience where it droppet me into
single user mode when I booted the first
time afte rinstallation.

There's a line, I think in /etc/rc.conf, that
says your system has not been configured.
You need to change this by remounting the
partition that holds /etc as rw and then edit
said file (if that is indeed the file with this
paramter). I don't even remember the name
of the seting you need to change. Something
like RC_CONFIGURED...? Someone else
can probably give you the correct file and
parameter name..?

While I'm on the subject; why is it like this?
If I read the documentation correctly, this
parameter is changed on an i386 after the
user has performed certain configuration
steps, such as setting the date, that is
performed by the installer, but not on the
Alpha. Shouldn't the Alpha port then either
do these configurations, or not set the
paramter to NO?

- IT