Subject: /kernfs and installboot
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/02/2001 17:12:08
Dear NetBSD/alpha:

I'm running NetBSD/alpha 1.5.1 on a 3000 M400 machine.  It was upgraded
(manually) from 1.5.  During booting these two lines are written to the
console

Mounting all filesystems...
mount_kernfs: kernfs on /kern: Operation not supported by device

This happened when it was running 1.5 too.  /kern is present:

% ls -ld /kern
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Feb 13 15:53 /kern
% ls -F /kern
% ls -l /etc/fstab
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  98 Feb 13 15:53 /etc/fstab
% cat /etc/fstab
/dev/sd0a / ffs rw 1 1
/dev/sd0b none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sd0d /usr ffs rw 1 2
/kern /kern kernfs rw

What would be the likely cause of this error, how can I fix it, and what
are the consequences if it's left as is?

Oh, and why does installboot for the alpha need /dev/rsd0c as the device
whilst for the i386 it takes /dev/rwd0a?  Does it matter very much if these
recommendations from the man pages are ignored and, for example, /dev/rsd0a
is used for the alpha?

Ray Phillips