Subject: Re: modem/serial port on dec 3000/300
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/31/2001 18:12:06
On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Jens Georg wrote:

=> > I asked at the time if maybe SRM or the hardware kept the serial port at
=> > 9600, as it is ostensibly the console port, too, but I never got an
=> > answer.
=>
=> well kermit -> minicom at 115200 worked. (or seemed to work)

When I was fiddling around, trying to improve performance, I would set
the speed higher in kermit, but when I queried the modem for its current
status via the appropriate "AT" command, it would always say it was
9600.  Of course, kermit reported the higher speed setting.  Also, the
actual transfer speeds I was getting (as observed through FTP transfer
rates, ping times, etc.) always indicated the same 9600 actual speed was
being used, no matter what I told it when bringing up the PPP link. :-(

That same modem (USR Sportster 33.6)  worked at 33600 on another
(non-3000/300) system.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu