Subject: Re: modem/serial port on dec 3000/300
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/31/2001 15:57:56
On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Jens Georg wrote:

=> could you tell me if it is possible to run a modem (Elsa Microlink 56k)
=> on this machine or do I have to setup a internet-gateway?

I ran a US Robotics Sportster 33.6 external modem on my DEC 3000/300,
and used it for my dialup connection using PPP.  BUT, I could never get
it to run faster than 9600, so in the end I stopped using it and used
another PeeCee-based 56K modem on another machine on my home LAN as the
dialup gateway.

I asked at the time if maybe SRM or the hardware kept the serial port at
9600, as it is ostensibly the console port, too, but I never got an
answer.

Alas, I don't even think I have my PPP chat scripts around anymore, and
even stopped including the ppp and sl devices in my kernels, so I
probably can't help much beyond saying, "it worked for me [ages ago]..."

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa