Subject: Re: DEC Multias or SS1+ & SS2?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/26/2001 20:02:09
> From port-alpha-owner-clowenst=ucsd.edu@netbsd.org Thu Jul 26 10:07 PDT 2001
> Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:06:19 -0400
> From: "J. Scott Kasten" <jsk@tetracon-eng.net>
> To: <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
> cc: "NetBSD/Sparc Mail List \(E-mail\)" <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
> Subject: Re: DEC Multias or SS1+ & SS2?
>

> The 166 Alphas are the faster of the boxes you are comparing.  You don't
> say exactly what your DSL data speed is, however, I can give you some
> concrete examples here:
>
> An SS1+ under NetBSD, Linux, or Solaris will be able to saturate the
> upstream bandwidth of a 400Mb/sec DSL connection with static content.
> However, SSH type secure logins would be painfully slow to initiate with
> the 25MHz CPU.  Thus frequent logins for remote administration makes
> these undesireable, although these machines are fast enough to handle the
> load when the connection is established.  It's just the key generation and
> so forth that kills it.  It's adequate, but not preferred.  May be a good
> caching DNS box.  Not sure how it would do in a firewall only mode.

Something to think about:  it is pretty easy to get a second network
connection for a Multia -- either a PCI card or PCMCIA.  It is not so
easy to get an Sbus network card for the second network connection on a
Sparc because they (the Sbus cards) were manufactured in small quantity
at high prices.

    carl
--
        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu