Subject: Re: Slightly Off-Topic...
To: None <ken@seefried.com>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/26/2001 13:59:18
   Lord Isildur writes:
   > shit. so the only game in town now is sparc, eh? sun hasnt made a truly
   > decent box since they dropped sbus and went to pee-sea-eye..

   Oh, come now.  What's wrong with the PCI bus?  It's vastly faster, and in
   many ways saner, than SBus.  And they've latched onto cheap, insanely
   functionaly video cards and cheap hard drives for workstations (not for
   servers, of course).

   Personally, I think Sun is spot on.  There's something to be said for
   economies of scale.

   Ken Seefried, CISSP

I don't know if this is still there, but when Sun first came out with the
PCI based sparcs, there was a "warning", of sorts, on their own web page.
If I recall properly, it stated that the buss speed would be about the
same, even though the PCI buss is faster.  Something to do with interrupt
latency, or some such.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]