Subject: Re: Compaq Tosses the Alpha To Intel...
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/26/2001 10:51:33
On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 10:49:59AM -0400, David Woyciesjes wrote:
>
>  > Yeah, you are quite right, but IIRC, the Itanium isn't quite in production
>  > yet, and 2 years seems like it might be enough time for Intel to pull off
>  > the switch, right?
>
> No.  The Alpha is not the IA-64 architecture.  They can't just re-label
> Alpha and call it IA-64.

I wouldn't complain if they did :-)  It's a better architecture.  All
they'd need to do is wave their magic marketing want to turn "IA-64" into
being an acronym of sorts for "Intel Alpha-64."

How does AlphaProcessor, Inc fit into all of this, or I guess I should say
API NetWorks, Inc?  It looks like they've moved into the market for high
speed bus I/O.  Their site mentions that they've co-developed with AMD a
technology known as HyperTransport.  How does the Intel acquisition of
Alpha affect AMD's role with HyperTransport, or does it?

-brian.