Subject: Re: Slightly Off-Topic...
To: Vance Dereksen <>
From: Francis. Javier Mesa <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/25/2001 19:29:43
On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Vance Dereksen wrote:

> HP is switching to Itanium.  Itanium is actually partially based on PA.
> Peace...  Sridhar

Actually HP is responsible for a lot of the development of the second
generation of the IA-64. Plus a lot -if not most- of the compiler effort
for the architecture. Since HP absorved a lot of the people from some of
the VLIW companies that tried to get some products going in the past
decade (cyndrome and dataflow... I think).

IA-64 was announced as the sucessor of the PA and it is supposed to have a
PA emulation mode, I think..... Then again I could be wrong. Unlike SGI
and COMPAQ, the IA-64 was supposed to be the replacement for the HP
architecture from the beginning.

Francisco J. MesaMartinez

Basking Engineering Ctr #228
University of California
Santa Cruz, CA 95064                         phone:(831) 502-2073