Subject: Re: Slightly Off-Topic...
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/25/2001 22:05:46
On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> > Just saw this on the morning News... Should never have let them buy DEC,
> > I tell ya..

Some said that the same day the deal was disclosed...

> Oh, well, such is hi-tech biz....  Where is Gatesware in all this?

Probably somewhere in the shadows... Compaq would probably love to drop
VMS as well, but cannot do so at the moment, so instead they plan to
migrate OVMS to Itanium.

> > ... Compaq said it is transferring significant Alpha microprocessor
> > and development tools to Intel. No financial terms were disclosed.
>
> Now, why would they want to do that if the Itanium thingy was all that
> great?

It is not that great. They are about two years behind schedule, the
performance of the chip is lousy, and I'm not sure they've even dubugged
it properly yet. Intel are in *trouble* with the Itanium, and really needs
that expertise.

> I smell a rat in the works somewhere.....
>
> (slightly pessimistic, today.....)

It smells bad. No hiding it.

I guess I'll have to pin my hopes on SUN (I never thought I'd say that,
but they are the only sensible company left).

	Johnny