Subject: Re: libbfd broken?
To: Dave Huang <>
From: Ken Wellsch <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/18/2001 20:22:26
Dave Huang wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Ken Wellsch wrote:
> > I got the same immediately after the install of the libc shared lib.
> > When I revert to a 12.75 copy left over from a prior build I seem to
> > be okay again.  I fussed around with bfd, and ld without having
> > any change in behavior alas.
> Hmm, looks like a couple of my shared libs are broken... libbfd was one
> of them though--after replacing with the one from the May
> 4 snapshot on, ranlib, ar, and ld started working.
> However, gdb still cores at the same place. Also, telnet cores as it
> exits (it'll telnet just fine, but it dies after the connection is
> closed...). Reverting to from the May 4 snapshot doesn't
> seem to help anything :(

I'm not sure what might be the cause of the problem.  I'm running on an
AlphaPC 64 with 96Mb of memory bootstrapped a month ago with the May 4th
-current snapshot then rebuilt with -current sup'ed circa May 26th.  I
decided on the weekend to bring it back up to -current and it got as far
as completed the install of then on the next install command goes
boom with a SEGV.

Getting SEGV's may have nothing to do with the shared libs, but rather
something has broken in the magic of VM and memory and mmap and such.
But of course I don't know - I just wanted to point out the messenger
(i.e. a .so lib) may not be the actual problem B^)

I've tried it with two sup's -- using a custom kernel built from scratch
each time.  Thought I'd try a third time tonight upon seeing your msg but
can't even get that far:

apc64# make
cc  -O2 -Werror -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith
-Wno-uninitialized -Wno-main -mno-fp-regs -I. -I../../../../arch -I../../../..
In file included from ../../../../compat/linux/common/linux_exec.h:47,
                 from ../../../../arch/alpha/alpha/linux_trap.c:48:
../../../../compat/linux/arch/alpha/linux_exec.h:68: syntax error before
../../../../compat/linux/arch/alpha/linux_exec.h:73: syntax error before
*** Error code 1