Subject: basic shell questions
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/08/2001 10:58:10
Dear NetBSD/alpha:

I'm a little embarrased to ask these questions, but could you oblige me,
please?  (I'm using NetBSD/alpha 1.5.)

1) What's the best way of modifying the default path for all non-root users
whose
   default shell is csh?  My current solution is to use

       setenv PATH ${PATH}:/extra/seach/path

   in /etc/csh.cshrc which works, but I wonder if there's a
better/preferred method.

2) What's the difference between using "setenv" and "set" in .cshrc.  Both
are used
   in /root/.cshrc.  I've found that in ~/.cshrc

       setenv http_proxy http://autoproxy.jkmrc.uq.edu.au:3128

   works but not

       set http_proxy http://autoproxy.jkmrc.uq.edu.au:3128

   which produces a syntax error.

   However, both

       setenv PAGER less

   and
       set PAGER less

   seem to work.

3) What's the cdpath environment variable in /root/.cshrc used for?

4) What's the shell variable BLOCKSIZE (which is set to 1k in both
/root/.cshrc and
   /root/.profile) use for?

Ray Phillips