Subject: Re: Updating from 1.5 to 1.5V via tarballs...
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/22/2001 02:23:44
NetBSD Bob wrote:

> Can someone refresh my memory as to the correct incantation of tar
> for a live update on a running system from 1.5 to 1.5V snapshot?
> I am thinking it was....
>
>        tar -xpzf --unlink  whatevertarball.tar.gz    from / ?
>
> Any gotchas other than squirrelling away the /etc bits?

Shouldn't be any troubles doing things this way.  I tend to extract
etc.tgz somewhere and use "diff -rq /etc /new-etc" to get an overview
of what's changed and then copy or update any changed files I need to.

Be sure to reboot with a new kernel too.  Perhaps even do that first
before extracting the userland sets just to make sure.  And save the
old kernel :-)

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/