Subject: Re: Benchmarks, and Compaq C
To: Scott Telford <st@devnull.demon.co.uk>
From: bad bob <sfmc68@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/16/2001 19:16:51
Scott,
have you had any follow up to this?

Scott Telford wrote:

> I've recently installed NetBSD 1.5 on a DEC 3000 Model 300L and, while
<<SNIP>>
> Whilst browsing the freebsd-alpha mailing list archives, I noticed that
> the FreeBSD/alpha folks have made a port/package of Compaq C for Linux,
> integrating it with the FreeBSD libraries etc. to produce native
> FreeBSD/alpha binaries.  This seems like a cool idea - has anybody
> looked at doing the same for NetBSD/alpha? If not, I'll try to look into
> this sometime soon.
This really intrigues me because I was just catching up on the list
and looking for refs to gcc.  I am trying to run the PDP10
simulators on netbsd/alpha with a 164/500.  This puppy screams on
anything tht does not use gcc.  With the lack of an alignment
capability for the alpha - and I have looked and looked but not
found it but I could be wrong - I am getting perf that is
consistent with your bench marks.  The Linux on alpha folks are
getting phenomenal perf.
thanks
bob