Subject: Q: SCSI controller (Initio) and HDD (Fujitsu) not seen in
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org, port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Markus A. Boeing <markus@boeing-online.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/13/2001 17:57:21
Ladies and Gents,

may I ask for your help? Firstly I need to apologize for cross-posting to
netbsd-help and port-alpha.

Here is my problem:

I added an Initio INI-9100-UW SCSI controller and a Fujitsu MAH3091MP disk
drive to my DEC AlphaStation 200. Unfortunately the system does not
recognize the new components.

The Alpha's SRM (v6.9-4) console shows the new controller but not the disk
drive. When booting up NetBSD 1.5 the startup messages show that NetBSD
recognizes the INI-9100-UW controller but not the disk drive. Funny enough
NetBSD does complain about /dev/scsibus1 not to be existent (/dev/scsibus0
is the build-in controller). I expected the device to exist because the
controller was recognized.

I think the SCSI configuration is OK. The INI-9100-UW has no jumpers to be
set, the default configuration should automagically provide bus
termination. The Fujitsu MAH3091MP disk drive is jumpered for SCSI id #1,
spin-up on power and termination. It is the only drive on the SCSI bus. I
think the disk is OK because it actually spins up on power. :)

Any suggestions how I could drill this problem further down (or better:
solve it :)?

TIA

/Markus.

+---