Subject: Re: Multia won't boot with IDE drive plugged in
To: David Woyciesjes <DAW@yalepress3.unipress.yale.edu>
From: Charles Fultz <fultz@cs.purdue.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/10/2001 14:22:27
> ***this message is being copied to the NetBSD/Alpha list. Maybe someone
> there can offer insight? Original message at the end...***
>
> -> Since upgrading my firmware to "BL5 V3.8-3 built on Aug 10
> -> 1995" power
> -> is no longer supplied to my IDE drives.  I've tried 3
> -> different drives
> -> and two different cables, and no combination works. Before
> -> upgrading I
> -> at least got power to the IDE drive, but when booting in SRM it would
> -> never fully go into SRM, just stopping after the memory check.

I screwed up.  I CAN get into both ARC and SRM fully.  However, I do
not get power to my IDE drive and nothing is shown in ARC pertaining
to the drive.

> 	Hmmm. Okay, you probably checked out some of these items already,
> but I'm writing this list, more for my own thought process...
>
> 1. You're using a laptop IDE HDD, and connecting to the IDE header on the
> board, right next to the floppy connector.

Correct.

> 2. On those HDDs, there are (from what I've seen) four pins, seperated by a
> space from the other 40 pins. Those (the 4 lonely pins) do not connect to
> anything in the Multia. The IDE ribbon cable isn't big enough for that.

Correct.  I believe the 4 other pins are for master/slave/C.S. selections.

> 3. Pin 1 on the HDD is towards those four seperate pins, and pin 1 on the
> mainboard is towards the floppy connector.

I'll double check this.

> 4. Does hitting [Return] or any other key combo bring SRM console to it's
> senses?

Not an issue now.  I can get into SRM.

> 5. Is the battery good or new?

It's not new, but should be good.  The date and time are kept while
the machine is off.

> 6. When you wnet to switch to SRM, which option in Arc Console did you
> choose?
> (OpenVMS, DigitalUnix, whatever)

OpenVMS.

> 7. Try removing all accesories and drives (except for the floppy and IDE
> HDD).

Will do.

> 8. Try removing the SCSI riser card.

Okay, I'll try that.

> 9. Try reflashing the firmware using the fail-safe loader.

I'll dl it and try it again.

> 10. Is it suffereing from Heat Death Syndrome? (last resort kinda stuff
> here)

I don't believe so.  I haven't had any problems of that sort.

> 	a. Is it the original fan? If so, cut off the little red resistor on
> the fan, there should be two yellow wires going to that resistor. This will
> make the fan run at full speed all the time, and keep the Multia
> cooler.

I've always thought about doing this, but have been leary.  Think I
might try it tonight.

> Of course, you can also just replace the fan.

I'll see what I can find.

> 	b. On the underside of the mainboard, with the back of it to the
> left, there is a chip labelled "E215". What condition is that in? That's the
> part that suffers/causes the dreaded "Heat Death Syndrome".

Everything looks fine on the underside.

> Hopefully this will help in some manner...

Thanks a lot for your help!

Charles Fultz
fultz