Subject: Re: AlphaStation 255
To: Ray Phillips <>
From: Antti Kantee <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/25/2001 15:36:10
On Wed Apr 25 2001 at 21:51:43 +1000, Ray Phillips wrote:
> I'm thinking of installing NetBSD onto an AlphaStation 255 (which I haven't
> purchased yet) and have a couple of questions, please.
> 1) Are the two know hardware bugs listed for this machine at
>    (viz. 32bpp frame buffers are not currently supported, and the
>    53c810 driver is buggy) still present in NetBSD 1.5?
> 2) If so, how much does the 53c810 problem affect the normal running of the
>    system?

I have one 255/300 running NetBSD. There are no problems with it. Some
people said that the old ncr driver had issues, but I never encountered
them. The new siop driver works even better, so you should not even
theoretically run into problems.

At least the TGA2 framebuffer has been supported for a long time now.
I'm happily running X on the alpha.

> 3) Is there anything to watch out for when upgrading the firmware?

Not really I guess. Just don't trip on the power cord while you're at it

Antti Kantee <>          v          Of course he runs NetBSD             i