Subject: Re: PMAZ and PMAD on a DEC3000/300
To: None <>
From: Michael Olbricht <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/21/2001 00:45:48
>I have PMAZ-A TC option card at hand and will check and see why
>NetBSD/alpha can not cope with DEC3000/300.

I wonder whether it's a just question of kernel config.
Anyway, along with the release of 1.5, the web page for
platform independent support for TC boards had been updated
to include the PMAZ-A.

>PMAZ-A moves data through
>PIO way clocked by the DEC3000/300's half-clipped 12.5MHz TC slot.  This
>means it has severe disadvantage from builtin TCDS which runs full
>25MHz speed assisted by TCDS DMA engine.

Well, a /300 supplies only two usable drive bays, and I can't
make the bus too long. I also don't expect to be able to obtain
one of the successor models, supply is limited ;-).

>[...]  If PMAZ-A can not run with DEC3000, that must be fixed.
I would appreciate that.

>I have no PMAD then am unable to fix the issue.
Maybe someone else can report a working PMAD in a /300 (or L, X, LX)
or even another DEC3000? Just in case it depends on firmware or
board revision, or me being too stupid.

Michael Olbricht
machinarum occultarum domi alienae custos et pontifex