Subject: Re: 1.5.1 SPL0 fix??
To: Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/14/2001 15:38:11
Eric Schnoebelen wrote:

> Eric Schnoebelen writes:
> - I'd like to try out the SPL0 fix that was described a few days
> - ago, but it hasn't shown up in the anonymous CVS repository
> - yet..  Someone mentioned that it was originally done on 1.5.x.
> - Can I get a patch for it, to see if it clears up the
> - disk/networking performance problem I'm seeing on my PC164?
>
> 	Well, having applied the patch, I can say that it
> doesn't help the network/disk-io problem I've seen and others
> have reported.
>
> 	Problem summary:
> 		With simlutainous disk and network IO, the
> 		network IO is about 6kbp/sec.
>
> 	System Description:
> 		AlphaPC164/500Mhz
> 		64Mb RAM
> 		IDE disk
> 		Intel Etherexpress Pro/100+ (fxp)
> 		NetBSD 1.5.1_BETA kernel

So if you're scp or ftp'ing a file from local disk (for example) you're
saying network IO sucks?  I don't see this on my 1.5 PC164 w/epic or my
1.5U PC164 w/fxp boxes.  The 1.5 box is using raidframe mirrors with one
disk on each IDE channel, the 1.5U box has a single IDE disk.  I've only
got a 10Mbit hub, but I regularly see around a 1MByte/sec transferring
files between the two.

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/