Subject: Re: Cross-compilation (sort of)
To: None <>
From: Bucketmouth Frogstump <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/06/2001 11:50:19
> > There are some DS10s in the office, but they're all running RedHat
> > and nobody can spare me one as a NetBSD box. :(

>that's too bad, keep nagging them, they want to be running NetBSD anyway.

It's the Compaq compilers that they're using RedHat for ... actually, now
Compaq has NetBSD in their TestDrive program, maybe they'll port their
lovely compilers over. I've got a shot at converting people to NetBSD if I
can supply a good Fortran 90 compiler.

>setting up a cross-compiler tends to be a gigantic pain in the ass.

I suspected as much ... :)

>however, in my limited experience if you avoid crossing the >endian-ness
>you tend to have less trouble.  are alphas big?

That's why I was thinking it might be easier to compile on an Alpha running
a different OS, rather than the same OS on a different architecture.

>i forget.  anyway, grab a source distro of GCC and you will find a
> >cross-compiling setup doc in there.  it isn't the best doc
>in the world, but in the worst case it should get you asking better
> >questions that we can answer for ya.

It has always been my goal in life to ask better questions. :) Thank you for
the pointers.