Subject: Re: Web browsers for DEC Alpha 3000/M300LX?
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: User Nbsdbob NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/27/2001 13:38:59
> > Are there any usable web browsers for a DEC 3000 series alpha?

> there is an emulators/osf1_libs package which has a minimal set of DU libs
> which are enough to run netscape.  They aren't listed as a depends because
> we don't want to step all over someone's full compat_osf1 setup.

OK, X, libs, netscraper, etc., all installed....

OK, dummy here, dunce cap in tow.....(:+{{.......     +
                                                     / \
                                                    /---\
                                                    |0+0|
                                                     \-/

                                                    --|--

                                                     / \
                                               ---------------

Previous to now I have run all my alphas (3000/300 boxes) serially.
But, I ran up the twscons kernal and am now using it on the machines.
The INSTALL.txt lists CFB and SFB frame buffers for turbochannel.
The VRC16/keyboard/mouse/cabledongle are all installed and seem to work.
X is installed, and the path calls it up....but.....

Startx errors out:

  frame buffer type not supported: no such file or directory.

  Fatal server error
  no screens found
  X connection to: 0.0 broken.....(etc., then abort to shell).

I was thinking we had X support for the turbochannel boxes in
NetBSD-1.5 alpha?  (Yes/No?).......

In 10 lines or less,... ,``How does I get there?''

Thanks

``the dummy'' Bob.....(:+{{....