Subject: Re: what do you do with your Alpha 3000/300*
To: (Hyung-song Nam) <nam@wi.mit.edu>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/09/2001 00:18:42
On 09-Mar-01 Brian Hechinger wrote:
>> Again, somewhat OT question: For what purpose do you use your 300*
>> "work"station? Mine's running 1.5 and X well, but I can't seem to

I find that no matter how small the machine.. I can allways find some minor use
for it.  For example:

A DNS server.
A loghost (giant var, every other machine forwards syslog to that machine)
an xfontserver.
a mailserver.
Etc etc..  find one or two daemons running on your primary machines, and just
offload them to the smaller box.  Sure it can't fully replace a machine.. but
it could take a small amount of load away from that machine.

Besides.. X fontservers can be useful.  ;)

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
NetBSD supported hardware database: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/hw.cgi