Subject: Re: what do you do with your Alpha 3000/300*
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Bucketmouth Frogstump <bucketmouthfrogstump@hotmail.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/09/2001 13:12:33
> > Again, somewhat OT question: For what purpose do you use your 300*
> > "work"station? Mine's running 1.5 and X well, but I can't seem to
>
>there is a Dead Milkmen song from a ways back that goes (spoken):

(That was Bitchin' Camaro, wasn't it? Haven't listened to any Milkmen stuff
in years ...)

>i feel like after just setting up my 300LX and finding a purpose for it
>that
>it's almost as if i had you ask this question for my benefit. :)

I spent about a week at a loose end after getting mine going. I figured
"I'll call it a learning tool".

That's when I decided to build a set of installation binaries that didn't
require a serial console. So I learned a lot in a short time about NetBSD
build procedures. That was fun (terribly slow, but fun). Once it was all
working perfectly, I lost interest for about 3 days.

Then I needed to replace an antique SGI box that was an NFS server for some
other SGI boxen. The 3000 did that job fine.

Then I needed to set up a low-volume mailing list. The 3000 did that, no
problem.

Then a Nethack tournament came along. I hosted many games on the 3000.
Nobody complained.

These days, the 3000 has a very prominent place on my desk. My main computer
is my laptop, and I love the 3000's huge screen for VNC sessions when one of
the NT servers needs a little attention. It's always got a spare Xterm if I
need to quickly ping something.

It's really just my spare machine that's always there. And excepting power
failures, it IS always there. No problems yet.

So that's what my 3000 does. Anything I need it to. :)