Subject: Re: Multia and PCMCIA on 1.5.x?
To: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
From: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/28/2001 02:37:25
On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 03:53:31PM -0800, Ross Harvey wrote:
> > I just revived my Multia to put it to use again as a home-router box.
> > It would be really perfect for it, but for that I need PCMCIA to work
> > and get the an driver to work on alpha (that's basically all; the
> > machine is headless, diskless, floppyless and fanless ;).
> >:::
>
> There are a lot of good questions in there that I'll have to look
> at in order to answer, but right away I might mention that a fanless
> multia will soon be a dead multia. (Or was the smiley just highlighting
> an alpha space-heater joke? :-)

Ok, I appied the pcic patch manually (changing IST_EDGE into IST_LEVEL
at a few places) and added the following to my kernel config file:

pcic*   at      isa? port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000 iosiz 0x4000 flags 1
options PCIC_ISA_ALLOC_IOBASE=0x300
options PCIC_ISA_ALLOC_IOSIZE=0x0ff
options PCIC_ISA_INTR_ALLOC_MASK=0x4000

That seems to fix the stray interrupt problem, and gets my an card
configured:

an0 at pcmcia0 function 0 port 0x300-0x33f: Aironet PC4800 Wireless LAN Adapter

and ifconfig an0 up enables the card fine AFAIKS:

bash-2.04# ifconfig an0
an0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        nwid ""
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect
        status: no network
        inet6 fe80::240:96ff:fe33:89d6%an0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3

Nice so far. Also sticking in an ep PCMCIA card goes better; it
configures and gets irq 14 assigned at ifconfig up (just like the an).
However, I don't get any packets through or from it. Haven't tested that
for the wireless (need my second card from work), but will continue with
that tomorrow.

Feico.