Subject: Multia and PCMCIA on 1.5.x?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/28/2001 00:36:44
Hi,

I just revived my Multia to put it to use again as a home-router box.
It would be really perfect for it, but for that I need PCMCIA to work
and get the an driver to work on alpha (that's basically all; the
machine is headless, diskless, floppyless and fanless ;). I got NetBSD-1.5
running on it but it seems to have some trouble with interrupts. I get a
lot of stray interrupt messagesn for basically all irqs (3, 4, 5, 11
and 14), and I get a pcic0: no available irq; polling for socket
events (which doesn't sound disastrous, but doesn't sound to good
either). Inserting a 3com ep PCMCIA card gives me something like `out
of interrupts' message and it fails to configure.

I build a kernel from the 1.5.1 branch, but the problems remain. I
browsed the mailing list archives and found Juergen Weiss email of
12/03/2000 with some patches for what look like related problems to
me. I wonder what the `status' of these patches are. Have they been
applied to the 1.5.1 branch already? If not, are they still usable as
is for that branch (as opposed to clean 1.5 source)?

(I know I could just try them, but I hope you can save me `some' time.
As compiling a kernel for this machine takes many hours, due to
disklessness, NFS-mounting the sources over a currently <1Mbs
radiolink, and because it runs at 66 Mhz to keep it cool enough.)

Finally, I tried the an driver (it wasn't in GENERIC so my hopes
were not to high) on my Multia, and it got as far as this:

Feb 28 00:18:31  /netbsd: an0 at pcmcia0 function 0 port 0x400-0x43f
Feb 28 00:18:33  /netbsd: an0: RID access failed
Feb 28 00:18:33  /netbsd: : no suitable CIS info found

Would this be related to the general PCMCIA troubles, or should I
start digging through the code for 64 bit issues (help?)?

Feico.