Subject: Re: alpha console colors...
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
From: Andrew Hobgood <chaos@strange.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/12/2001 11:26:02
> > does anyone know how to change the background color to a more soothing
> > black?  some of my programs do so via ANSI codes, but screen erases
> > inevitably fill the screen with the same painful blue...
>
> Is it the same electric blue that is displayed when the machine boots?
> If so, I suspect that we're not setting up the VGA color palette, and
> expecting it to be initialized to whatever a PC does.

as a matter of fact, it is, but the foreground color is changed from bright
white to a dimmer light grey...

> Actually, looking in src/sys/dev/ic/vga.c, I see a mapping from
> ANSI/wscons color codes to VGA color table, and a note that we don't
> initialize the color palette (Plus some alpha-specific red/blue
> frobbing, but that doesn't seem to be your problem).

I'm familiar with the red/blue switcheroo, but yeah -- interesting.
This is an LX164, and the blue is the same color as the SRM console
background.

> (For what it's worth, on a TGA console I have green-on-black for
> kernel text and white-on-black for normal text. Works fine.)

Very interesting... think that this is worthy to be listed as an actual
bug?

/Andrew