Subject: Re: PLT symbol goodness (in XFree 4.0.x, particularly)
To: Andrew Hobgood <chaos@strange.net>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/08/2001 13:27:57
On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 03:48:42PM -0500, Andrew Hobgood wrote:

 > Well, yeah... there might be a magical link flag, but I've got a hunch
 > that this is something buried much deeper in the toolchain.  Certainly,
 > all of the PLT errors which we're seeing have a reloc type of 26... I'm
 > going to poke around inside the toolchain code and see if I can figure out
 > why this is happening -- though, being new to NetBSD, I'm not sure how
 > productive I'll be. =P

Well, the only type of reloc in the PLT is of type 26, which, in
Alpha ELF is "R_ALPHA_JMP_SLOT" (which tells the linker to create PLT
a entry).

The "PLT problem" has existed in various forms for ... well, quite some
time.  At one point, there was a VM system bug that was causing errors
like this to occur.  But it has long since been fixed.

In this case, I think the problem is that the actual X server itself
isn't being linked with "--export-dynamic".  Programs which use
dynamically loaded modules (which the XF4 X server does) which reference
symbols in the main program must be linked with this option to expose
the dynamic linking information to the module.

Simon -- you might want to look into this :-)

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>