Subject: Re: PLT symbol goodness (in XFree 4.0.x, particularly)
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Hobgood <chaos@strange.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/08/2001 15:48:42
> Just a sample of the PLT's:
>
> main program: Undefined PLT symbol "__divlu" (reloc type = 26, symnum = 231)
> main program: Undefined PLT symbol "select" (reloc type = 26, symnum = 114)
> main program: Undefined PLT symbol "__remlu" (reloc type = 26, symnum = 163)

Here's a few of mine:

X: Undefined PLT symbol "free" (reloc type = 26, symnum = 32)
X: Undefined PLT symbol "__divl" (reloc type = 26, symnum = 80)
X: Undefined PLT symbol "malloc" (reloc type = 26, symnum = 14)

> with something lurking in the 64-bit ELF format.  First, there's this post from Steven

Yep.  It's the 'program linkage table' -- contains all kinds of goodies
for internal dynamic linking symbol resolution.  More news below.

> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2000/03/02/0002.html
> I haven't had time yet to compile xfree 4 with the new flags; if you can go faster
> than my Alphastation, yer welcome to try.

Definitely.  I pulled the most recent xfree sources, dated Jan. 21 (the
last set of patches simonb committed, afaik), and built it.  Went back,
tweaked the Makefile params (so I wouldn't have to mess with the
Imakefile) in xc/programs/Xserver/ to contain -Wl,-E as shown above.
Built, installed, tried.

Failed.  Same PLT issue.

Just to see what would happen, I rebuilt with -static, hoping that perhaps
it was something that might be resolved by not requiring dynamic linking.

Still no luck.

> I'll be churning out some new code in the next day or so, and test away.  There's
> gotta be a magic link flag out there somewhere.

Well, yeah... there might be a magical link flag, but I've got a hunch
that this is something buried much deeper in the toolchain.  Certainly,
all of the PLT errors which we're seeing have a reloc type of 26... I'm
going to poke around inside the toolchain code and see if I can figure out
why this is happening -- though, being new to NetBSD, I'm not sure how
productive I'll be. =P

millennium hand and shrimp,

/Andrew