Subject: machince check on alphaserver 400
To: None <alpha@openbsd.org>
From: Paul Weissmann <paul@pdp11.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/05/2001 19:53:34
hello,
juts got an alphaserver 400 4/233, which btw is the
same as alphastation 400 but without integrated ethernet.
i tried installing openbsd-current on it, the original
digital nic(21040) in the system was broken so i replaced
it with my other available pci-nics. sadly none of these worked
with the ramdisk kernel so i had to install the system by
installing via localdisk (sd0 root disk, sd1 holds base28.tgz ...)
installing this way worked fine until the installer started
extracting the filesets. everytime i tried this, after a few
seconds of gzip -d the machince halted with halt-codes 5.
the last time it appeared, i was doing a tar xvzf on one
of the root-disks to manually install it, didn't worked either:

[...]

unexepected machine check:

	mces	= 0x1
	vector	= 0x660
	param	= 0xfffffc0000006000
	pc	= 0xfffffc0000327e80
	ra	= 0xfffffc000031b850
	curproc	= 0xfffffe0000053c00
	pid	= 17899 comm = gzip

panic: machince check
syncing disks... 1 1 done

dump to dev 6,1 not possible
rebooting...

halted CPU 0
halt code = 5
HALT instruction executed
PC = fffffc0000230128

[...]

that was it...

any suggestions or hints what could be the cause for this?
does the vector = 0x660 simply mean that my ram is broken,
according to the netbsd/alpha faq?
would a dmesg be of interest?

thanks:)

--