Subject: DANGER WILL ROBINSON: FEN SET IN cpu_fork!
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/04/2001 10:39:33
I just noticed the message "DANGER WILL ROBINSON: FEN SET IN cpu_fork!"
in my console window.  What does this signify?  I'm running 1.5R
-current on a DEC 3000/300.

I recently started running the XalphaNetBSD Xserver on my DEC 3000/300
using a TCWSCONS-derived kernel.  I love it, and congratulations to
everyone who helped finally get the X server working on turbochannel
alphas!

One question, though: I regularly get "vsms0: input overrun" messages in
my console window, normally associated with mouse movement during loaded
conditions.  Does anyone else experience this?  It doesn't affect the
system in the same way X under the DECstation 5000/25 (pmax, 1.3-era
kernel) used to have the cursor jump across the screen under load.
Could the "DANGER WILL ROBINSON" message be related to the vsms0 error?
Is the vsms0 error related to a hardware buffer limitation, or can I
increase the input buffer in the zsms.c driver file and cut down this
error?

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu