Subject: Cyrus lmtp and sockets
To: None <info-cyrus@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: John Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/30/2001 07:28:34
Dear Cyrus and NetBSD people,
   I am trying to get cyrus 2.0.9 up on a NetBSD-1.5 Alpha machine.  I had
a few problems with getting the db3 libraries and compile_et includes to
get picked up in the correct place but was able to build and install
cyrus.
   After starting cyrus I have been able to authenticate to it via imtest.
   I configured sendmail (version 8.11.0) to use deliver as included in
the sendmail configuration examples.
   When a message gets sent deliver reports the following in syslog:

deliver[15899]: connect(/usr/var/imap/socket/lmtp) failed: No such file or
directory

   In looking at the code it appears that deliver is using a unix socket
to send the mail via lmtp.  I assume that when master is executed at some
point it should open the socket and I should be able to see it.  It
appears there is a lmtpd program which can collect mail via a network
socket.  netstat does not indicate that the lmtp socket is accepting
connections and in looking at deliver I did not see it attempting to open
a network connection.  Doing a ls in /usr/var/imap/socket I see no
directory entry.

    Should lmtp use a unix socket?  How does it get created?  Any
suggestions on how to resolve this problem?

johnh...