Subject: Re: OT: Have Alpha 233 mHz processor... Need everything else...
To: None <DAW@yalepress3.unipress.yale.edu, wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/18/2001 15:07:53
> From: Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 04:39:57PM -0500, David Woyciesjes wrote:
> > 	Hello gents, hopefully you can help. I have a 233 mHz DEC Multia,
> > apparently the flash/SRM console ships are dead. Does anyone know of or have
> > another motherboard or system I can use this processor (21068-AA) in?
>
> A NoName (AXPpci33) board comes to mind.

If the board is OK, but there just isn't any console in the NVRAM, you can
in theory burn a new image from a floppy without console interaction (since
you don't have a console) via the failsafe load.

I say "in theory" because I've never actually seen that work, tho I never
tried very hard, either. The system board does have a hard ROM that gets
control first, and that's the code that checks the failsafe load jumper.

What happens on power up?  Even with no flash, I think there should be some
output.

	--Ross