Subject: Re: Still Pyxis DMA trouble
To: Wilko Bulte <email@example.com>
From: Olaf Seibert <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 01/17/2001 23:57:01
On Wed 17 Jan 2001 at 22:03:25 +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 09:54:55PM +0100, Olaf Seibert wrote:
> > It seems that even in 1.5 the Pyxis DMA workaround is not perfect yet.
> > I was careful to try the netbsd.ram kernel, and it did not work properly
> There are multiple ECO levels on the MX5 so you might have hardware that is
> not up to the latest rev. Just a guess of course
That is of course quite possible.
When browsing through the source, I found the following comment a bit
* Flush the scatter/gather TLB on broken Pyxis chips.
* Now, read from PCI dense memory space at offset 128M (our
* target window base), skipping 64k on each read. This forces
* S/G TLB misses.
* XXX Looks like the TLB entries are `not quite LRU'. We need
* XXX to read more times than there are actual tags!
in arch/alpha/pci/cia_dma.c. A thing like this sounds like it could differ
between revisions - maybe my version needs still more forced TLB misses?
Or am I talking nonsense here?
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder --Soep van de dag, wat zal dat zijn
\X/ land.nl --wat kan dat wezen, beter maar het ergste vrezen -Boy Bensdorp