Subject: X Video Modes - Multia
To: None <>
From: John Hayward <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/14/2001 00:41:03
Dear Alpha People,
   First thanks to several people on the list who indicated replacing the
clock battery in my Mulita.  It solved my problem about booting.
   I still have some problmes (cannot boot off of floppy among other
things).  The main sticking point at this point however is getting X up.

   The previous system I had up was NetBSD 1.2C on the small drive which
originally was inside (240MB??).  It boots fine and I can run X fine.  The
video probes as:
tga0 1024x768

   I installed NetBSD 1.5 on a 4.2GB drive. It probes the video as:
tga0 1028x768
   When I attempt startx I can see the display at about a 45 degree angle.
It seems that the monitor is having trouble syncing with the video signal.

   On the FAQ I see various video modes but no 1028x768
(There is the VESA  1024x768 and Dec 1024x864)

The monitor I'm using is a CTX 19" monitor.

1) Is anybody else having trouble with this video mode?
2) Why does it probe 1028x768 rather than 1024x768?
3) Where on the board are the jumpers w3-w6 so I can try other modes?
4) Is there any configuration I can do on the system to make this work?