Subject: X Video Modes - Multia
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: John Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/14/2001 00:41:03
Dear Alpha People,
   First thanks to several people on the list who indicated replacing the
clock battery in my Mulita.  It solved my problem about booting.
   I still have some problmes (cannot boot off of floppy among other
things).  The main sticking point at this point however is getting X up.

   The previous system I had up was NetBSD 1.2C on the small drive which
originally was inside (240MB??).  It boots fine and I can run X fine.  The
video probes as:
tga0 1024x768

   I installed NetBSD 1.5 on a 4.2GB drive. It probes the video as:
tga0 1028x768
   When I attempt startx I can see the display at about a 45 degree angle.
It seems that the monitor is having trouble syncing with the video signal.

   On the FAQ I see various video modes but no 1028x768
(There is the VESA  1024x768 and Dec 1024x864)

The monitor I'm using is a CTX 19" monitor.

Questions:
-----
1) Is anybody else having trouble with this video mode?
2) Why does it probe 1028x768 rather than 1024x768?
3) Where on the board are the jumpers w3-w6 so I can try other modes?
4) Is there any configuration I can do on the system to make this work?

TIA
johnh...