Subject: Re: keyboard "gone"
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/10/2001 13:10:31
On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 12:45:32AM -0500, Andrew Brown wrote:
> i've got my pc164 on a kvm switch (along with my wife's pc and my old
> 486 running 1.3H) and it boots just fine when it's not switched in
> (serial consoles are great) and also just fine when it *is* switched
> in (although i guess there's not much need for it since i already have
> too many physical consoles around).
>
> what sucks is that if the kvm is switched away and then back, the
> keyboard stops working.  the keyboard leds flash when it's switched

I can't speak about a pc164 specifically, but I have seen a few odd behaviours
with kvm 'spindle' switches.

Hosts don't respond if you flip across more than one step too quickly
Hosts generate a constant stream of keyboard error beeps if you flip
	past them quickly
Video drops one of R/G/B (usually G - resulting in purple (i.e. white) text.
Host doesn't respond, even after keyboard LEDs init-blink.

The first two I've taught myself to avoid by flipping one step at a time,
waiting for init-blink, and waiting one second more before the next 'click'.

With the last two, I've found that even though the keyboard init-blinks,
the required position of the switch may not be in the middle of the
stop-point. Applying gentle pressure towards one of the neighbouring stops
may help. (This varies by switch, and by A/B/C/D.. position)

Good luck :-)

(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods