Subject: Re: Question about installing NetBSD on a DEC 3000/300
To: Matthew Cordes <mcorde61@maine.edu>
From: T. Martin <catfish@alltel.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/04/2001 18:26:42
On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Matthew Cordes wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to this list and netbsd, but am struggling to get a dec 3000/500
> to work w/ bsd.  As I understand you need a serial console to install
> netbsd, but
> after it is installed you can recompile the kernel and add support for the
> smart
> frame buffer (?) which will allow you to use the machine's typical keyboard
> and
> monitor. One user on this list has even got X working with a dec 3000/*
> machine
> (check  the archive for that).  As always I could be mistaking, if so please
> enlighten me.
>
> -matt
 Very true, I have X working and NetBSD 1.5 uses the accelerated frame
buffer so its alot more usable than 1.4.
 Many kuddos and Thanks to the developers that have achieved this.

For the record, mines a DEC3000/300 150mhz, uses smart frame buffer 8bpp
(ick but its better than nothing) at 1280x1024.

Terry